If you see anything that interests you or would like to commission me contact me at simplytreasured99@hotmail.com
or visit my website at website


Tuesday, May 22, 2007

CRAFTING WITH RECYCLABLES

Recycling has become a way of life for me as is art. To combine the two is a bonus. My friends and family know what a 'pack rat' I am and before they toss anything they laughingly ask me if I want to take it home and do something with it. Of course, 9 times out of 10 I do.

The way I see it, recycling serves three purposes. One, we are helping the environment by reusing and recyling it. Two, we are saving ourselves money and being frugal by recylcing it into something useful. And three, we can often turn it into a functional piece of art.

I have raised three children and they grew up creating art on a regular basis and the majority of their supplies came from recyclable trash. You wouldn't believe the money it saved me, the way it decreased my trash and how they got to use their wonderful imaginations coming up with some very creative things. Father and Mother's Day we always received special hand made items created with their own hands. How much more special can that be to receive a gift your child has made especially for you?

So before you toss out that empty egg carton, the yogurt container, those stray buttons and pieces of lace, make your child a 'craft box' with the items. All you need to add are basics such as scissors, gluesticks and markers and it will give them hours of entertainment and a chance to use their imaginations.

If you are interested I can post a list of things I have put in my children's craft boxes and even some crafty ideas for their use. Let me know if you are interested! Happy recycling/crafting

No comments: