If you see anything that interests you or would like to commission me contact me at simplytreasured99@hotmail.com
or visit my website at website


Friday, May 18, 2007

FUN WITH PAPIER MACHE


I confess I am somewhat obsessed with paper mache since I first tried it to make the above singing duet. Okay, they didn't turn out the greatest but figurines aren't that easy to make and it was my first attempt. The second time I decided to make bowls but they just didn't let me be creative enough. So don't ask me where I came up with the idea for these ladies heads. I think I started out attempting masks and they just evolved. The first one was snapped up by a buyer right away so I hurried home to make some more. Thus the "Funky Mamas" were created. I try to make each one unique giving them different hair colors and styles, jewellry and nationality. I want each on to be an individual. I have just completed my third one (pic to come) of a Native American lady. They look so funky hanging on a wall and also serve as a functional piece of art by giving you a place to drape your bathrobe or lingerie!



Of course I have attempted other things in paper mache such as rainsticks. It turned out really great (pic to come) and I ended up teaching papier mache workshops here in Sudbury to children at after school centers and schools. The Primary students loved making their rain sticks while the older students tried their hand at maraccas.

If you would like to try your hand at paper mache I will post the best recipe I could find in my next blog as well as some tips I have learned along the way. Until then...be creative!

No comments: